Being an LGBTQ+ Ally, Pride Month & All Year
June is Pride Month - a month-long celebration and recognition of the LGBTQ+ community. It commemorates the Stonewall Riots of 1969 and serves as a time to promote LGBTQ+ rights, raise awareness, celebrate diversity, and advocate for equality and acceptance.
Each year we are proud to partner with True Colors United, an organization that “implements innovative solutions to youth homelessness that focus on the unique experiences of LGBTQ young people.”
And this year we are excited to also work with LGBT+ VC, the first “nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the LGBT and ally venture capital community.”
H.Bloom’s Partnership with True Colors United
We have created a celebratory collection of Pride Month floral arrangements in our Pride Collection. During June, a portion of the sales from our exclusive Pride Collection will be donated to True Colors United. From rainbow-colored arrangements to simply bright-colored arrangements, this collection is dedicated to the colorful spirit of the LGBTQ community and the celebration of their rights.
H.Bloom’s Work with LGBT+ VC
LGBT+ VC debuted as a nonprofit organization in March of 2023. Kicking off their launch, LGBT+ VC hosted a celebratory gathering on March 27th to commemorate Transgender Day of Visibility. H.Bloom is proud to have donated purple floral arrangements to the volunteers who made this event possible. We are also proud to continue to work in partnership with LGBT+ VC to support their mission of advancing the LGBT community within the larger venture capital community.
Ways to Be an Effective LGBTQ+ Ally
- Educate Yourself: Take the time to learn about LGBTQ+ history, terminology, and the unique challenges faced by the community. Be open to listening and learning from diverse voices.
- Listen and Validate: Create a safe space for LGBTQ+ individuals to share their experiences, thoughts, and feelings without the threat of them being judged. Respect their pronouns and chosen names.
- Speak Up and Interrupt: Use your voice to challenge homophobia, transphobia, and discrimination when you witness it.
- Support LGBTQ+ Organizations: Donate to or volunteer with organizations that advocate for LGBTQ+ rights and provide support services to the community.
- Amplify LGBTQ+ Voices: Use your platform to amplify the voices and stories of LGBTQ+ individuals.
- Vote and Support LGBTQ+-Inclusive Policies: Advocate for policies that protect and advance LGBTQ+ equality.
- Attend LGBTQ+ Events: Show support by participating in LGBTQ+ events, such as Pride parades, rallies, or community gatherings. Celebrate diversity and promote inclusivity.
- Educate Others: Engage in conversations with friends, family, and colleagues to challenge misconceptions or stereotypes about the LGBTQ+ community.
- Practice Self-Reflection: Continuously examine your own biases, privilege, and assumptions. Be open to feedback and willing to grow and evolve as an ally.
Every day is an opportunity to support the LGBTQ+ community. And we are so proud that we are able to do so by working with True Colors United and LGBT+ VC, as well as taking the time to find other ways to be effective allies.
Help us support these amazing partners by ordering an arrangement from our Pride Collection or donating straight to their organizations. And if a floral arrangement isn’t on your Celebratory To Do List this Pride Month, we also have a Chasing Rainbows Macaron Box from Olivia Macaron.
However you decide to celebrate and honor Pride Month, the most important thing is to be a good ally and support LGBTQ+ equality.